Sunday, October 1, 2017


Comment about "The Girl With All The Gifts" by M.R. Carey

This is the book that I've been reading and---

Melanie: What's this?
Me: This is a blog Melanie.
Melanie: Oh. Like the one that I helped you with the other time?
Me: Yes Melanie, now . . . please let me finish it.
Melanie: Alright.

As I was saying, this is the book I've been reading. It's a book that will literally play with your emotions. I'm not kidding. There was a time that I was reading and my mind started to make inferences out of what I was reading, and one of them was that one of the characters had committed suicide. I was literally crying, trembling, and walking around because I couldn't believe it. Then I---

Melanie: Aww. You cried with our story, and you haven't even finished.
Me: S-So? It was a really emotional part of the book. Plus, You would've cried if Miss J would had committed suicide.
Melanie: D-Did ... D-Did she...? WAAAAAAAA *cries really loud without stopping*
Me: I was just putting an example, Jeez! Calm down!
Melanie: *sobs*
Me: Plus, you're the main character! Shouldn't you know already how this story is going to end? I mean is your story after all.
Melanie: Yeah but for now. . .I only know what you know, and what you tell me.
Me: . . . Just let me finish this post please.
Melanie: . . .

Where was I?. . . Oh, yeah. I was astonished and with my mouth open, I couldn't keep reading, I was scared about what was going to happen next, but the intrigue won over the fear and I grabbed the book and started reading; my hands were trembling and my eyes filled up with tears as I kept reading.

Melanie: What a mix of emotions!
Me: Shh!
Melanie: Okay okay . . . *whispers* Jeez.


So...I kept reading, and found out that she didn't commit suicide. The "gun" that Helen was holding was a flare, and the red things were only flashes of the flare (but I thought it was Helen's blood). After reading that, I took a deep breath, looked at the ceiling and stared at it for at least 2 minutes, until I felt ready to continue reading.


Melanie: Can I talk now?
Me : No.
Melanie: Oh come on!!!
Me: Melanie, Shush!

The author includes a lot of imagery in the book, which means that he gives a lot of details about wherever the characters are, whatever they're doing, listening, eating, or touching.
The author will make sure you feel like you're a part of the story. There was a time I was reading, and they (the characters) were walking through a street, and they have to be really quiet so then the hungries didn't detect their location, not even that they (Helen, Gallagher, Caldwell, Parks, and Melanie) were there. One of my classmates asked me something and I yelled "Shhhhhh!" but not just because I was reading, but because I thought that if I wasn't quiet the hungries were going to find us (the characters and me). I apologized to my classmate after I finished reading. The author has me so into the story, and I think that if you give the book a chance, it will hook you into the story too.

Melanie: Can I please, please please talk now?
Me: Sure. I'm done.
Melanie: Well I just wanted to say that "We're not alone!".
Me: . . . They don't know---
Melanie: They'll have to read if they want to find out.
Me: True.
Melanie: Can I say "goodbye" with you?
Me: I don't say "goodbye".
Melanie: You got what I said!
Me: Hmm . . . Alright.
Melanie: 3
Me: 2
Melanie: 1

Me and Melanie: See you next time!









7 comments:

  1. Rachael you did a really good job! You wrote a lot which makes people more intrigued in reading your blogs. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you embedded Melanie in your writing! I also love that your commented on the author's use of imagery. Fantastic post Rachael!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ms.Petrella ! I wanted this post to be creative, so I included Melanie, and you know how Melanie is really curious about everything? I wanted to show that part of her character with the first dialogue; also, Melanie would not shush if she has to say something important (she would only do it if she's talking to Helen, or if it's definitely not appropriate to talk), and I tried to show the readers that part of her character too.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about a late reply, but I would definitely say a mix between both what you said and what Ms. Petrella said. I love the amazing amount of dialogue between the two characters. Amazing descriptions!!!!! I love the background. BTW The font is something that I would definitely change because that might make readers a little confused on what you're writing. Just like you told me about the bright colors and the dark wallpaper, which yes I changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for informing me about that. I'll change it right away!

      Delete