Thursday, November 16, 2017

Explaining the Point Of View of the book I am reading.

The book I am currently reading is called "Thirteen Chairs" by Dave Shelton, and its Lexile is 930. One of my recommendations when you're picking a book its to check the Lexile, additionally you should know your Lexile level. Why? Well because it will help you find the book that is "the right fit" to you.
Excluding what I just said, this is not a post to talk about the Lexile and other things you could do to find a "perfect fit" book to you (maybe I'll do a post about that, but later).

We all know what POV or Point Of View is, but in case you don't here's the definition:

POV/Point Of View: The narrator's position in relation to the story being told.
It could be...
First-Person Narrator: Uses words like "I", "me", or "my", additionally it only knows its own thoughts and actions.

Second-Person Narrator: Uses words like "you", and mainly focuses on "you".

Third-Person Limited Narrator: There are two types of "Third-Person Narrator", the "limited" one is an "outsider" that uses the words "he", "she", or "they", but it doesn't know EVERYTHING in the story.

Third-Person Omniscient Narrator: It knows EVERYTHING in the story. It knows the characters' actions, thoughts, EVERYTHING! It also uses words like "she", "he, or "they".


Good. Now that I'm sure you know what is POV, I can start. As I said before, the book I am currently reading is called Thirteen chairs. The point of view in this book is a Third-Person Omniscient Narrator. It knows everything that's happening, it knows Jack's (which is the main character) thoughts, actions, and feelings. Additionally, it knows everything that's going on in the story. It can detect feelings and thoughts of other characters, as well. It would be a completely different story if it was told by one of the mysterious person's perspective, or in another POV. If the book was told on a Second-Person Narrator it would be kind of tricky and weird, because you wouldn't really know who's the "you" that it would be talking about. Furthermore, if it was told on a First-Person Narrator it would clearly be biased, and I (the reader) wouldn't know more than what the narrator knows. I believe that for this kind of book the author made a good choice when he decided it would have a Third-Person Omniscient narrator/point of view. It was the "perfect fit" POV for the book.

See you next time!



2 comments:

  1. This book sounds really interesting, like a scarier version of A Christmas Carol. Excellent post, you sound like teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm trying to do the best I can with these posts.

      Delete